Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Some news

Got a phone yesterday from the pulmonologist who presented my information at the Tumor Board last Thursday.  He said that the pathology report was non- conclusive about the tumor being a melanoma, but the consensus of all the oncologists at the Tumor Board was that it should be treated as a melanoma. They were suggesting a course of treatment with interferon, which is one of many kinds of chemical interventions to reduce re-occurrence of cancer.

I now have an appointment on Monday with an oncologist to discuss treatment options further.  My Beloved and I are making a list of questions to ask, as this phone call from the pulmonologist was rather brief.
So, once again, I have more questions than answers.

For clarity, the meeting with the surgeon today will be to take out the remaining stitches and check in with my recovery.  If I had not received the call yesterday from the other doctor I was assuming the surgeon would have more info, but now we know they are suggesting treatment, so this will be a perfunctory post-op visit.

So stay tuned from Monday when I will have more info.  Of course, after getting all the info on the risks versus benefits of treatment, we still need to deliberate and pray about the decision I will make.

I am so grateful that my Beloved and I have had many serious (and a few silly) talks about quality of life and what is important to us.  Given my long time working with hospice, we have had many very practical conversations, so we both feel we can say just about anything and not fear that the other person over-react.  Our level of trust and commitment with each other and strong faith in a Higher Power is key to our going forward day-by-day.

Keep the positive thoughts and prayers coming!

2 comments:

  1. "non-conclusive"...I think this must be the theme of this illness for you. You are being tested with ambiguity and waiting for answers that aren't quite conclusive. I guess this is better than a conclusively bad answer. :-) Kind of sucks that the treatment options are about the same even for "non-conclusive". I know you'll approach this with your same patient, positive outlook. Keep up the humor - by far the best medicine. Oh...and a little women's basketball never hurts either.




    ReplyDelete
  2. One day at a time....your entire approach to this not-so-nice part of life's journey is an inspiration.....my heart goes out to you and Beth and your extended family....keep looking ahead with positive thoughts...and with all the prayers and capable hands of the doctors....you will be back doing everything with gusto. .....OOM my friend....Marilyn

    ReplyDelete