Monday, January 14, 2013

I'm baaaaaack!

I headed out to start this earlier today, but had no internet connection!!!!!  My love/hate relationship with technology continues.

It was pretty heady stuff reading all your comments of support and positivity!  Reading your kind thoughts and encouragement really does help keep me positive about all this.

It was a big day getting home yesterday.  The house is so much bigger than my hospital room!  I felt a bit like an untethered balloon drifting across the living room.

I slept in the downstairs bedroom as I didn't want to try the 14 steps at the end of the day.   And my Beloved offered to sleep downstairs on the floor in her sleeping bag.  I got the better deal, poor dear.  It was a bit of adventure not having the fancy adjustable hospital bed to crank around at my whim for maximum comfort.  And then, of course, the cat was thrilled I was home and kept hopping up and around the bed.  She did finally settle at at my side, and I finally got the right amount of blankets and pillows piled up.  So I slept pretty well.

The most uncomfortable thing is the coughing....which I need to do to keep the lungs cleared out.....but it sort of hurts!  For my thoracic surgeon, this was a pretty routine lobectomy.  To my body, a saber-tooth tiger took a bite out of my side!  It is about a 5 inch incision.  They did a little rib-spreading and a bit of rib-shaving; and then there was the chest tube for drainage.  So that right rib area is a bit achy and sore.  I have full movement of my right arm....up above my head and pretty good lateral reach.  It was a bit of a shock last night, as the last of the IV Tylenol with codeine I was given in the hospital started wearing off, and I could feel more of the physical discomfort from the actual surgery.  I took one of the pain pills they gave me, but it only made me thick-headed and did not relieve the discomfort, so those will be going to the medication recycle bin!  I started taking extra strength Tylenol regularly at the suggestion of my anti-coagulation pharmacist and have found I was able to ambulate around with a bit more comfort today.  They are gradually getting my blood back to a therapeutic range of anti-coagulation ...and I will have it checked on Thursday.

I do get sort of breath rather easily, but I expect that to be better in a few days time.
I actually feel better than I thought I would, I think.  When the anesthesiologist came in during pre-op and explained how she would have to put a much larger than normal respirator thingy down my throat because she would have to shut down the lung they were operating on and keep the other one inflated.  She said it would go between my vocal chords so I may have a very sore throat.....or that my caps on my front teeth may break off because of the metal apparatus....... and I felt none of those negative side-effects!

My Beloved brought cards to my room each day and we pinned them to the bulletin board in my room......like a bouquet of good wishes!  I continue to get cards at home and appreciate the ongoing prayers and good thoughts.  FYI....those sending cards are generally not of the generation be checking blogs.....so keep those blog replies coming!  My e-mail Inbox is just full of names that make me smile when I see them.

I think I am out of steam and have already rambled on enough....but rambling is about all I can manage at this time.  I hope to have some real quality postings in the near future....but now, back to the recliner!






6 comments:

  1. So glad you are home and letting us see the hints of your lovely humor! You are getting better every day - Good Thing! - Hugs for recovery! OOM...Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your wonderful words with Cindy and we are both thankful you are doing well enough to write. We're thinking of you. Try to watch the inaugural parade on Monday if you are up to it! Cindy and I and 8 other RCB members are marching in the parade as part of the LGBA contingent. We leave for Baltimore area tomorrow - there will be 9 sousaphones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramble away, I do it on occasions too. Having a bit of the lung removed would be considered a good one as occasions go.

    glad to hear your news, and your beloved as well.

    Rooting for your good and continued good health~ xox Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates, Sue. Glad they left your humor in tact! :) We're thinking of you and B and are so thankful the surgery went well. Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sue!
    You sound wonderful! Transition home REALLY is an adjustment. Those hospital beds are SO helpful - just being able to raise the head of your bed is amazing after surgery! It is a shock to be home and realize how much you miss that simple thing! Glad the Tylenol is helping. I've always been surprised how well Tylenol works at relieving post-op pain.
    Sure sounds like things are going incredibly smoothly for you. I'm so glad you're progressing and that you're home to have your cat snuggle with you. Enjoy our sunshine! Janlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Sue! Hopefully every day will have you feeling just a bit better!

    ReplyDelete