Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Best and Worst of a hospital stay........

I just can't resist......making a list:

Best


  • Does anything in the world of food taste better than red jello when you are feeling puny?!?!  OMG!
  • The chocolate pudding cup was next most excellent thing.  Yummmm!
  • My choir gals came and sang to me in the hospital.  They had B. and myself, and the nurses, in tears with the beautiful harmonies and healing lyrics.  I am so blessed to be a part of such an amazing group of women.
  • A couple fabulous nurses and very savvy Techs to help with my care.  One of the nurses I knew from my years on the nursing home team.  She was working at one of my favorite homes at the time, so we had a couple nice conversations.
  • I got to experience one of those "shampoo shower cap" thingys that they heat up in a microwave and place on your head.....that massage your hair through the cap....pull it off....and Voila!  ...clean hair!  Felt great!



Worst
  • Hot flashes!!!! Day and night.  Covers on/covers off. 20 times in 24 hours, I swear.                                                                                      One night I was propped on my side with a bunch of pillows...one between my knees...one at my back.....about 6 pillows in bed with me.  Yes, they all are plastic coated with the pillow case on top.  I flet like my skin was going to melt off.  And, of course, the call light has slid out of my direct reach......sooooo uncomfortable.  My ears were burning from touching the pillow!
Lunch of fruit salad and cottage cheese.  Great the first day!  I ordered it again the 2nd day.  The fruit should never have left the kitchen!  Past prime.  I boldly chose it again the next day......and it was wonderfully fresh.  If it hadn't been, I was going to call the kitchen and lodge a complaint.

So last night I went up the 14 stairs to the main bedroom.  By the time I got to the top, I thought I had just climbed Mt. Everest!  So I guess maybe one step at at time will be better plan.  I was a little humbled.  Just because I blew a couple notes on my cornet didn't mean I could climb.
Baby steps, grasshopper, baby steps.!

So this morning I was able to fix my self a whole breakfast, just  grab a container of yoghurt and a spoonful of granola.  I made oatmeal with fruit and even made coffee!!!!  For the record, my Beloved is being great about meals....but I always am up and around earlier than she is in the morning.
And I sat at the counter an read the paper while eating.....a totally normal start!  Yea!  
Exhausted.   Went and curled up in my chair and read awhile and took meds and did my breathing exercises.  Rested up for going back upstairs (one at a time) to take my shower.  Oh,  that felt so good!  Beth took off the bandage covering the former site of the chest tube drain and lotioned up my back.....that hospital-issue Keri lotion is great!  The incision looks good.  I am a little greenish from the bruising of the tissues, but it all looks just as it should for this stage of the game.

FYI...for those of you who have never been to our home......the computer is not in the main house.  I have to walk about 100' out to what we call the music cottage.  So it's not like I walk by the computer multiple times a day and check messages.  It is my big outing of the day now, to go outside and do this!  

And I feel so lucky to be able to be this functional this soon.  I can't drive until next week....but will probably feel up to getting out of the house by the weekend, I am thinking.

I know.....slow and steady....not fast and stupid.  So I am heading back into the house to rest some more.

Hugs to you all for your support and encouragement.!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are home and doing well!! I needed to hear some good news today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "blew a couple notes on my cornet"??? Awesome! Can't believe you are climbing stairs and all...slowly but surely. But you need laptop and wifi. Hope you got to watched a little of the UW women's b-ball tonight - I was there rooting and moaning. Painful second half but a win is a win (and same goes for you!). Will call you soon and come by for some duets. (just kidding...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates! Sounds like things are going well. I'm enjoying reading the blog...aren't you glad you don't have to repeat the details verbally a 1000 times?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, you are incredible! "Blew a couple notes on my cornet.." and climbed the stairs...trombone is next, you are probably doing that even as I type. You are an inspiration! Thinking of you, sending lots of positive energy!!!

    ReplyDelete